Skip to main content

Anniversary of First Ever Newspaper Job

Five years ago this past Monday, on June 25, 2013, I conducted my first ever newspaper article interview for The Sampson Sun. I had no experience, and I was nervous; but I instinctively knew how I wanted to conduct the interview. I just let my curiosity take over and I had plenty of questions.

I interviewed the manager of the local movie theater about the recent change from film reels to digital film. My article was sooo long, but the editor/owner of the paper I was writing for printed it without a word. On my next assignment she casually mentioned to make the articles "not so long that the reader gets tired." Haha. I guess she got a little tired reading on and on about those new digital film projectors. Stephen King calls it having word diarrhea. I felt I had to include all of the information from the interview. Every little tidbit was interesting in my opinion, and I wanted to do right by the manager and by the topic of these new projectors. I think I spent 2-3 hours on the interview along, if I remember right. I went from over 1,000 words on my first article (it may have been closer to 2,000!) to an average of 600-800 words per article. I was paid $40 per article. I don't know if that is much, but it's more than I had ever gotten paid for my writing before.

East Park Cinema Theater
in Clinton, NC.
This is where we go
to see all our movies.
Below I have a few pictures from that interview, some of which I submitted along with the article. And somewhere I still have the newspaper itself that the article was printed in.

The new digital projectors

The manager was an avid ball cap collector. Lol.
He was also a fan of George Jones and had a signed photo of him in his office.
This is what was playing that day.

Thanks for joining me on this memory trip of my past writing experiences. If you'd like to hear more of these, you can leave a comment or tweet me @BookTalkwithRR.

Also, check out Smashwords.com for a great place to find ebooks by brand new authors. I'm currently reading the Sweet N Sour Kisses series by Cindy M. Hogan, which you can find here.

Thanks for stopping by. I'll see you next time.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Stay at Sister Hotel | Visiting My Sister for the Weekend

Last weekend I had the chance to spend a few days with my sister. She lives an hour and a half away so I spent the night, and we had a proper sleepover. Downton Abbey and Mikes Hard Lemonade played a big part. Haha! We didn't get up to anything really treacherous since our idea of being bad is staying up till 2 am watching DA. I just thought I'd share with you some of the things we did. Sharon filmed a craft video of a floral centerpiece she made for her dining room table. I took a few shots of her while she was working. You can check out her YouTube channel here: Sharon Guardiola . She makes craft, painting and beauty videos. She also left me these tasty chocolates on my pillow and lent me a fluffy fur-lined robe like a legit five-star hotel. Lol. My sister has two fireplaces so they have lots of wood. This is the mantelpiece in her bedroom. I love this style. It really reflects her. (No pun. ツ ) I had a great time staying at the Siste

Stephaine Graham and The Detox Bar | Creativity and Courage

Stephaine Graham, owner of The Detox Bar in Clinton, NC I met Stephaine by chance at my yard sale where I was selling all my furniture in preparation to move. I’d recently been working on content to revive my blog, and here comes Stephaine Graham, the owner of The Detox Bar - Wellness and Beauty Center in the historical downtown square in Clinton, NC. Stephaine sells her own blend of flavored detox teas, medical grade sculpting garments and has created a community in Clinton around weight loss and detoxing, bringing a change to the waistline that puts a smile on your face. Now and then I interview a local business owner to share their story about how they started their business. Business and writing both require creativity and initiative; both take courage. We can always use another inspiring story to help pull us toward our goals. Here's Stephaine's story: Stephaine at 291 lbs. and Stephaine today Stephaine had always been overweight, but when she turned 32, she got her first

Small Town Businesses: Southern Roots Florist, Gifts and Event Rentals

I'd like to introduce you to our last featured small town shop. Twenty-three-year-old Dana Harn is the daughter of Deborah Harn, the owner of yesterday's featured shop, Vance Street Market Flower Shop. Dana will be opening Southern Roots Florist, Gifts and Event Rentals on Front Street in Warsaw this month. Like her mother, Dana, too, wanted to run her own business. Because of the help of dear friend and stellar designer, Stacey McNeil, Dana was able to quit her job in Maryland and return to North Carolina to begin work on opening a florist shop. Creativity: Though Stacey will be in charge of design at the new location, Dana is also discovering a talent for creating floral and decorative arrangements. Dana finds inspiration from the creativity of others and discovering new things. "It helps me expand my own creativity and develop my style. I end up loving things I would not have otherwise thought of." Dana is drawn to decorative items that lend themselves wel